Recipients of the 2019 Richard McKeagan Scholarships have been announced. Named for the long-time executive director and CEO of the Mechanical Contractors Association of Canada (MCAC), the scholarships are presented every year by MCAC and the Construction Education Council (CEC), to students enrolled in post-secondary mechanical engineering and trade programs.
The awards are sponsored by industry companies and organizations. Sponsors and recipients this year are as follows:
- Bradford White Canada – Thomas MacDonald, University of Guelph;
- DMS Industrial Constructors Inc., – Jamal Wood, NWCC – Coast Mountain College;
- Federated Insurance – Manuel Lemos, McMaster University;
- Franke Kindred – Jesse Holmes, Saskatchewan Polytech;
- MASCO Canada/Delta Faucet – Taylor Davies, McGill University;
- MCAC Associates Council – Jason Dales, McMaster University;
- OS&B – Thomas MacDonald, University of Guelph;
- Reliance Worldwide Corporation (RWC) – Kristin Bennett, McMaster University;
- Taco Comfort Solutions – Christine Yaromich, University of Toronto;
- Uponor (Dan Kirkpatrick Scholarship),
- Wolseley Canada – Braedon Grace, College of the North Atlantic;
- Women in Mechanical Construction, sponsored by the Mechanical Contractors Association of Hamilton-Niagara – Kristin Bennett, McMaster University. A second award, sponsored by Lowe Mechanical, will be announced at a later date.
The Construction Education Council is part of the Mechanical Contractors Association of Canada (MCAC) and was created originally as the Canadian Mechanical Contracting Education Foundation (CMCEF) in 1998. Its primary role is to assess the education and training needs for the industry, as well as, promote and deliver those needs to its members. The council, located in Ottawa, also promotes careers in the construction industry, works with other training organizations, and makes recommendations on current education programs.
Richard McKeagan joined MCAC in 1990 and remained the CEO for 28 years until his retirement in 2018.